Sunday, January 29, 2012

Assignment 1-4-3: Written Analyses-Analysis 2


Facebook Stereotypes and Rituals
            This blog will discuss some of the stereotypes when it comes to the website, Facebook. In addition, it will explain some of the rituals that people go through everyday pertaining to Facebook. I will state how these theories describe Facebook. Finally, I will mention the insights that I gained from applying these theories to Facebook.
Facebook Stereotypes
            There are many stereotypes that people have against Facebook. For instance, Facebook might seem unsafe when it comes to children logging on. This is untrue. There is a program that you can run so that a parent can track the people that go on to your child’s wall. Additionally, some people might think that Facebook exposes their information to the public without their approval. Again, this is untrue. The only way people can see on your wall is if you let them. There are settings that one can set to limit certain people from accessing the information that one does not want them to see (Petracca & Sorapure, 2010).
Facebook Rituals
            There are rituals that people have when it comes to Facebook. First, each person haves his or her own preference when it comes to the games that they play on Facebook. For instance, I like a game called Farmville. Each day, I try to log on to attend to my farm duties. I know this sounds funny, but I know people who do this every day. Some people even spend their hard-earned cash to buy items for their farms. Of course, I do not take it to the extremes. In my opinion, there are no differences in doing this than when one goes and buys a video game from the store for their gaming systems. These are free games and they are fun. Furthermore, I do have a tendency to go YouTube from Facebook and post music videos on my wall. This is a ritual that I tend to do almost every day. I love music so this is a big part of my interests and I like to post to my wall to inform people of my interests (Petracca & Sorapure, 2010).  
Insights on Stereotypes and Rituals
            I never really thought of the stereotypes and rituals when it comes to Facebook. Now that I have had a chance to actually stop and think about it, there are many stereotypes against Facebook and many rituals that people have when it comes to Facebook. Considering this, Facebook is still a great website to have fun and get to know each other and our differences.
 Reference
Petracca, M. & Sorapure, M. (2010). Common culture: Reading and writing about American         popular culture. Upper Saddle River, New Jersey: Pearson Education, Inc.



No comments:

Post a Comment